Since I have tremendous amount of fabric love, a starting point of my sewing project is often a fabric rather than a purpose. This project is no exception. The fabric is silk shantung from Elliott Berman Textiles. I bought two yards of this beautiful paisley silk few seasons ago.
|Draped over the dress form|
Pattern: Vogue 8684
I have been wanting to try this pattern because of the diagonal darts in the front bodice and the raglan sleeve. I thought it could be a charming day dress.
1. The length of the bodice was shortened by 1".
2. The center-back cutting line was redrawn straight. This is a must alteration for my thin back. Without this alteration I always have an air porket in the upper back regardless of which company's pattern I choose.
4. Misprinted circles on the bodice front piece were corrected. The small circle should be 3/8" away from the cutting line yet it is printed 5/8" away. I moved both circles to the correct places.
|Correcting the misprinted dots|
I made a muslin out of $1/yard fabric from Walmart. The picture was taken after lowering the neckline.
|Vogue 8684 muslin|
1. The neckline was too high for me. I made it 1" lower in the center front. This change made the neckline look more like a pattern envelope picture.
|Lowering the neckline|
3. I added lining. This was easily done by joining both fabric and lining together at the neck opening.
|Adding the lining|
|The bodice after adding the lining|
You will see my next post with pictures of my completed dress pretty soon since I only need to hem up the sleeve to finish it.
Until then, cheers to you all!