Thursday, January 12, 2012

McCall's 5466 + Vogue 8555 Carolina Herrera Floral Jacquard Cocktail Dress

The date of my last post was August 2010… If I remember correctly, that’s when I became full time student and lost quite a bit of my free time. I was actually very surprised to find that this blog still existed! Well, while I was absent from blogland, I made several things to show you.  First off, here’s my latest project.

Inspiration
Source: Neiman Marcus

My version


Pattern: I started off with McCall's 5466 (bodice) and Vogue 8555 (skirt), changed neck line from round to v-neck, moved the position of darts so that the darts and pleats align, and omitted center pleats.



Fabric: silk/misc jacquard and china silk lining from sawyerbrook.com

Netting (overlay at bottom) from voguefabricsstore.com

I wish I could find exact same lace fabric that Madame Herrera used for this dress! Anyway, I’m very happy to welcome this dress to my closet.

There's much more to come. Thanks for stopping by!



8 comments:

  1. This dress is stunning it's almost an exact replica from what I can see.This is stunning . Is the bodice semi sheer ? I'm wondering if I can see the gap in the dress form in the center front ?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for the compliment, Lisa! The gap you're seeing is the center front seam. The fabric is opaque. The black part has some kind of glossy coating on it and it was very hard to press, however, if it was semisheer this dress would be super sexy and it's not actually a bad idea at all!

    ReplyDelete
  3. This dress is gorgeous! I saw the fabric at Waechters Fabrics (Asheville, NC) this past weekend and was wondering what the original CH dress looked like.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thank you, Audrey! I envy that you have access to the high-end fabric store! It must be so much fun to touch and feel those fabrics.

    ReplyDelete
  5. This is absolutely beautiful! What a stunning interpretation!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Carolyn! This was such a fun project. BTW I LOVE your blog!

      Delete
  6. Wowers what a stunning dress, I'm now a follower.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Kat. Welcome to my little blog!

      Delete