Sunday, June 17, 2012

Vogue 8784 Wrap Dress

Hello everyone! This week I made a cotton wrap dress to add to my everyday wardrobe. 
Vogue 8784 Front

Vogue 8784 Back

Vogue 8784 Side

Vogue 8784 Inside

Pattern: Vogue 8784 
I made View A (left) without cap sleeves.

Source: Vogue Patterns

Per my usual petite alteration, I shortened the bodice by 3/4" and the skirt by 4".
I usually need to do narrow-shoulder alteration as well, but I kept the shoulder length in order to achieve an X-shape as seen in some dresses sold at Saks this spring.  

Chloe
Cotton Wrap Dress
Source: Saks Fifth Avenue

Alice and Olivia
Josie Ruched Blouson Dress
Source: Saks Fifth Avenue

I changed the way the dress wrapped. If you follow the pattern instruction the right front should be on the left front. Well, when I was sewing the side seams, I just realized that proper kimono wrapped the opposite way and I suddenly wanted to make this dress that way. It is just my Japanese thing!

Fabric: Theory Cotton poplin from Fabric Mart. This fabric was very easy to handle.
Lining: Cotton voile from Denver Fabrics



Lastly, this is how I style my new dress.


Just kidding! Meet Perry, a corn snake who usually lives in my daughter's middle school classroom. She is taking care of him while school is out. I am no snake person, but I THINK I am slowly getting used to seeing him in my house.


Until next time, cheers to you all!

10 comments:

  1. I had not seen this Vogue pattern before and have just added it to my list. I love the floral print you used. Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for stopping by, Andrea!

      Delete
  2. Your post reminded me of a Monday Morning Inspiration post I did on snakeskin. The response was rather funny, most were a little creeped out. I love your sense of humor. The dress is so nice and I like that you added the traditional kimono wrap direction, very nice. And your inside looks as good as the outside.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I remember that post, Rhonda! When it comes to snakes, it's usually a love/hate reaction to them. I used to hate them but love snakeskin (especially python) product. Now that my daughter volunteers at the nature center to take care of reptiles, I feel guilty to want snakeskin anything. My solution: embossed leather!

      Delete
  3. At first I thought Wow! That is some very daring statement jewelry. Perry is beautiful. Snakes get a bad reputation, but they can be some of the prettiest reptiles. I like the left over right. Lovely work as usual Yuki.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Since Perry came to my house, I was surprised to find more people who loved snakes than I thought. Now that I'm bit more open-minded about snakes than before, I don't mind having snake-motif jewelry like Cartier's in the future. Thanks for your comment, Bela:)

      Delete
  4. Awesome - I'm giving this pattern a shot and since I top the charts at 5" the shortening advice is very helpful.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hope this pattern works out for you, cyberpunkjunk! Thanks for your comment. :)

      Delete
  5. Very nice, I think I will try the same wrapping as you did.
    Suzanne

    ReplyDelete