I wanted to make baklava for New Year's Eve party and came across this wonderful Baklava Cups recipe by Sunny Anderson on the Food Network's website. I liked the idea of using mini phyllo shells since making real baklava seems a little intimidating. I used orange instead of lemon and made syrup using hand-squeezed orange juice. Mini baklava cups are great for party as you can prepare them the day before. I like them warm with warm syrup drizzled over but they taste great even without syrup.
This recipe makes 30 baklava cups
½ cup pistachios
½ cup walnuts
½ cup almonds
1 orange zest
2 tbsp sugar
2 tbsp butter, melted
½ tsp cinnamon
¼ tsp salt
¼ tsp vanilla extract
1/8 cup sugar
1/8 cup honey
Juice from the orange
30 mini phyllo shells (2 packages)
*Need two 24-cup mini muffin pans
1. Preheat the oven to 350F.
4. Zest the orange. Save the orange as we use its juice later.
5. Combine all the filling ingredients in the food processor. Pulse until blended.
7. To make thin syrup, combine 1/8 cup of sugar and honey in a small sauce pan. Cut the orange half or quarter and squeeze over sugar and honey. Add water if necessary. Mix it well and simmer for about 8 minutes.
8. Pour ½ tsp syrup into each baked cup. Refrigerate for at least 5 hours or overnight.
Serve warm with warm syrup drizzled over.