Sunday, June 13, 2010

Burda 7549 One Shoulder Top


Background: One shoulder top in the store never worked for me due to my thin shoulder. I decided that it was about time to sew one for myself!

Fabric: Printed viscose, poly, Lycra knit from elliottbermantextiles.com. Big flower print on a black background. I was thinking of making a fitted dress when I purchased this fabric, but it was too thin for the fitted style. Note on this fabric: it stretches a lot! As I tried on the garment to check the fit, it had already grown towards the floor -more than an inch!
 













Pattern: Burda 7549. I made View A, which had only one piece!


Changes and Alteration: I reduced the bodice width by 4 inches, raised the armhole by 3.5 inches plus 2 inches after I saw how it stretched downward, and shortened the sleeve length to make the line smooth from the armhole. I didn’t cast elastic at waist and made it hang straight. I’m going to wear it as a tunic.



Cutting Error: It takes long to decide on pattern placement when I work with big print. This time I cut so that yellow flower would be near my face. THEN I realized that I made a stupid mistake… I placed back piece as if it was a front piece. Ahhhggg! Although I had ample fabric left, the flower design was printed in one direction so there was no way I could place front pattern like the back I already cut out.
Otherwise, it was super easy. I’m not a particularly fast sewer, but I had sewn this one up pretty quick.

Until next time, cheers to you all!

Friday, June 11, 2010

Butterick 5357 Peasant Top


My first project in this summer! I wanted to knock off this Milly top (picture left below) which I have been wearing all the time.


Fabric: Printed silk twill from Fabric Mart. Large orange flower print on cream back ground. (Note on this fabric: it ravels a lot.) Since I knew that this top would be in my everyday rotation, I prewashed and dried the fabric in the machine in delicate cycle– it came out fine.

Pattern: Butterick 5357. It looks pretty close to my Milly top. I made View C, size XS.

Change and Alteration: I added ruffles on sleeve and neck openings, left out tie, shortened sleeve length, and reduced bodice width. I thought I did not need to make muslin for this pattern but it turned out to be little too big to my liking. I was disappointed to have to cut off the nice-looking French seams to reduce the width. However, I like how it turned out. : )


Neck opening


Parting Shot - Spaghetti with Mussels


Isn't it nice when the food, which you whip up by combining whatever you have in your fridge and pantry with your imagination, turns out pretty good? This is one of those dishes.

Here’s how to cook. Start boiling water in the large pot and cook pasta. In another pan, cook frozen mussel according to the directions on the package. At the same time, you cut up broccoli, dice tomato, and mince garlic. In large pan, heat up olive oil and sauté garlic. Add tomato to the oil and garlic and cook for another minute. Add broccoli to the pasta pot 1 or 2 minutes before the pasta is done. Drain. Add pasta, broccoli, and mussel to the garlic and tomato mixture, sprinkle salt and pepper to taste, and toss it well. You will need only 10 minutes or so from start to finish.There are tons of ingredients you can substitute with this recipe – shrimp, chicken, black olive, basil, spinach, mushroom, etc. Bon appétit!