Sunday, June 13, 2010

Burda 7549 One Shoulder Top


Background: One shoulder top in the store never worked for me due to my thin shoulder. I decided that it was about time to sew one for myself!

Fabric: Printed viscose, poly, Lycra knit from elliottbermantextiles.com. Big flower print on a black background. I was thinking of making a fitted dress when I purchased this fabric, but it was too thin for the fitted style. Note on this fabric: it stretches a lot! As I tried on the garment to check the fit, it had already grown towards the floor -more than an inch!
 













Pattern: Burda 7549. I made View A, which had only one piece!


Changes and Alteration: I reduced the bodice width by 4 inches, raised the armhole by 3.5 inches plus 2 inches after I saw how it stretched downward, and shortened the sleeve length to make the line smooth from the armhole. I didn’t cast elastic at waist and made it hang straight. I’m going to wear it as a tunic.



Cutting Error: It takes long to decide on pattern placement when I work with big print. This time I cut so that yellow flower would be near my face. THEN I realized that I made a stupid mistake… I placed back piece as if it was a front piece. Ahhhggg! Although I had ample fabric left, the flower design was printed in one direction so there was no way I could place front pattern like the back I already cut out.
Otherwise, it was super easy. I’m not a particularly fast sewer, but I had sewn this one up pretty quick.

Until next time, cheers to you all!

No comments:

Post a Comment